Home / cleaning / Incentive QAS provides St Botolphs with cost-saving waste solution

Incentive QAS provides St Botolphs with cost-saving waste solution

Image CC credit: George Rex

Image CC credit: George Rex

By Jamie Wright, Managing Director at Incentive QAS

I am often asked, what is the secret to Incentive QAS’s success? My answer rarely differs – we provide all our clients with high levels of service regardless of the challenges we may face, whether that is working in a listed building, in a customer facing environment or delivering a 24/7 operation. Recently we have seen an increase in companies focusing on operating in a more environmentally friendly way and subsequently minimising waste.

I recently read an article in which the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), argued that lowering the cost of decarbonisation was one of the biggest challenges businesses faced. According to the PIA Property Data Report, commercial buildings account for 14 per cent of the UK’s CO2 emissions and about 10 per cent of the UK’s energy consumption. As a result, there is a large amount of pressure on businesses to help the government meet its carbon reduction targets.

Companies are now looking towards their service providers for solutions to reduce their CO2 emissions. So, to keep our clients satisfied we are now faced with the challenge of continuing to provide a high level of service whilst minimising waste.

 In 2015, we won a three-year contract with CBRE to provide cleaning and associated services at St Botolph Building. This included out of hours cleaning, daytime housekeeping window and façade cleaning and highly intensive periodic services programme to maintain the buildings’ finishes.

The building is based in the heart of the shipping and insurance district and is one of several landmark buildings that have recently been built to the east of the Gherkin in Aldgate. As with most contemporary office spaces, there has been a great emphasis on creating a sustainable and environmentally friendly building. With this in mind, the building has been designed to include a waste management system which delivers a ‘zero to landfill’ policy. Therefore, the main challenge that we faced with this contract was to deliver high levels of service whilst adhering to their strict environmental initiatives and regulations.

Through their work with CBRE, the St Botolph Building has been awarded the Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice, which is demonstrates environmental best practice around the world.

As well as being the first company to be accredited by the RSA as an official feeder scheme into the European Business Awards for the environment and is still only one of a handful of accredited campaigns. Furthermore, the St Botolph is part of the Clean Street Partnership with the City of London whereby they work with Street Environment Officers to plan and implement ways to reduce litter and waste around the premises.

The building itself achieved a BREEAM Very Good rating through its many sustainable design features and as part of the City of London’s Clean City Awards programme. In 2014 the St Botolph Building entered the award programme and achieved a gold award and went on to achieve Platinum in 2015 and 2016.

Alongside the desire to deliver an environmentally friendly building, the company also wants to deliver high standards. As a result, washrooms are consistently checked and maintained with toilet rolls never reaching less than 20 per cent. However, consistently replacing the toilet rolls before they ran out resulted in roughly 80kg of waste tissue each week. In a bid to reduce this amount of waste we worked with local charities and churches to donate the left over toilet roll. Now 70 per cent of the unused tissue gets put into staff facilities with the other 30 per cent going towards local charities in the community.

Through our management of the building’s cleaning we have achieved and maintained zero waste to landfill. The average monthly recycling levels usually range between 90-92 per cent, with the residual waste going towards electricity generation. Much of the responsibility for meeting the government’s targets rests on UK businesses therefore, we work with all our clients to ensure we can deliver the highest levels of service whilst maintaining minimal waste and environmental impact.

About Sarah OBeirne

Leave a Reply