Impressions about cleanliness in commercial facilities start from the ground up, according to new research from Whittaker, a leader in low-moisture carpet cleaning.
The survey, conducted online by The Harris Poll on behalf of Whittaker found that 83 per cent of Americans say well-maintained carpet improves their confidence in a facility’s cleanliness.
“Often the first thing that people notice upon entering a facility is the flooring and what condition it is in,” said Joe Bshero, Director of Technical Services at Whittaker. “Carpet needs to be free of stains, discolouration and wear and tear or it may negatively impact the public’s perception of an organisation.”
In the wake of the pandemic, assuring visitors of a facility’s commitment to cleanliness is paramount. The impact of well-maintained carpet that is free of damage, discolouration, stains from food and beverages, and outdoor contaminants like soil, sand, water, and salt, varies depending on the facility type. The survey revealed findings for the following places:
- Hotels – 55 per cent of Americans confirm that clean carpet in hospitality environments makes them more confident in the cleanliness throughout the facility.
- Restaurants – More than half (53 per cent) of Americans say well-maintained carpet in restaurants improves their confidence level regarding facility cleanliness.
- Long-term care facilities – Clean carpet in these healthcare settings would assure 44 per cent of Americans that the facility is committed to cleanliness.
- Retail stores – Shoppers take notice of how stores are maintained, given that 42 per cent of Americans say well-maintained carpet in retail locations would improve their confidence in the facility’s cleanliness.
- Office buildings – Two in five Americans (40 per cent) say clean carpet has a positive impact on their confidence in an office building’s commitment to cleanliness.
- Casinos – One in three Americans (33 per cent) would feel more confident in a casino’s level of cleanliness upon seeing the carpet is maintained properly.
- Schools (K-12 school, university, college) – 32 per cent of Americans say their confidence in a school’s cleanliness is improved by well-maintained carpet.
“A strategic carpet care program incorporates high-quality chemistry formulated for various types of stains and soils, as well as reliable equipment that keeps carpet looking its best,” added Bshero. “Low-moisture encapsulation is a more sustainable, efficient and affordable approach to carpet care, and is trusted by many building service contractors and facility managers.”